June 21, 1884
A baseball club has been formed here, called the "How Wild Cats," with the
following officers: President – Amos WILTON; Vice-President- Robert CHAPMAN;
Secretary – R. THOMPSON; Treasurer, Ed. FINDLEY; committee: Geo. VERT, Gus.
OTTO, W. WILTON, Chas. SHIMMEL and John VERLO,-*referee, Chris WEINHOLDT. The
boys are ready to hear from outside clubs, and try conclusions with them. Chris
WEINHOLT has been appointed agent here for the popular Red Star Line of steamers
running between Antwerp and New York. No less than seventeen new settlers have
arrived here during the last few weeks. The town is bound to go ahead. Come on ,
we have room for more.
A Sunday school has been organized here in connection
with Rev. Mr. COUCH’S circuit, with the following officers:Superintendent, Mrs.
H. STARKEY, Asslt Supt, Mrs. 0. WILTON; secretary, Frank DOWEN; treasurer, B.H.
ARMSTRONG; librarian, Frank OOWEN. On the opening Sabbath there was a very large
attendance, and great interest manifested.
William WILTON has been visiting friends in Maple Valley lately.
T.G PRICKETT has opened up a fine assortment of goods at his store, such as
dry goods, groceries, etc., and has supplied a want long felt. May success
Your correspondent and a large number of others would like to see our mail
arrive a little earlier than usual. We desire no change, only a little more
R. THOMPSON and Charles A. ALDRICH arrived here from Kent City, Michigan last
week and intend making their home here.
Henry JOHNSON has improved the appearance of and added utility to his farm by
a new board fence and handsome picket gate; he also has a croquet lawn. Henry is
going to have things nice.
July 19, 1884
One of the largest and most successful revival camp meetings ever held in
this town was brought to a close last Sabbath evening by the Rev. Messrs. COUCH
and YARWOOD. It was gotten up under the auspisces of the Methodist Church, and
has caused quite a commotion among our residents. The reverend gentlemen were
ably assisted in the good cuase by Mr. TEMPLE of Oconto Falls, Mr. John
TRECARTIN and others of Maple Valley and Messrs. A. WILTON, W. WILTON, F. DOWEN
and H. JOHNSON of How. There was a large attendance during the three days of the
meeting which was held for three days in Mr. Henry JOHNSON’s grove, who kindly
gave the committee the use of the grove for the occasion. It was a red letter
day here, and will be long remembered by those who took part in the proceedings,
Mr. COUCH being popular with the people here. May the good work soon bear fruit.
*This was also spelled OVERLOUGH